Breach of Contract claimed by Matt Nixson
Matt Nixson, former head of features for The Sun is suing his employers, News Corp, in relation to what he describes as his wrongful dismissal and breach of contract.
Mr Nixson was fired in July this year (2011) when News Corp’s management and standards committee said it uncovered evidence of wrongdoing during his time at the News of the World. He is suing his former employer’s executives Will Lewis and Simon Greenberg, the media group’s chief lawyer Jeffrey Palker, and Lord Grabiner QC, the chairman of its management and standards committee, for more than £100,000 in damages.
Mr Nixson denies any involvement in unlawful activity and claims News Corp’s committee does not have the power to sack News Group employees. News Group is a subsidiary of News International, which is owned by News Corp.
Nixson filed a separate employment tribunal complaint against News Group for unfair dismissal in September. That tribunal is thought to be on hold while the high court legal action proceeds.
The damages of more than £100,000, incorporates 12 months’ salary plus additional benefits. Mr Nixson believes that due to News Corp’s actions he will face difficulty in finding alternative employment. “given the implication that he was involved in the phone-hacking activities of the News of the World”.
Mr Nixson was not provided with any reason for his dismissal at the meeting where he was dismissed, but he was told that his dismissal related to the discovery of emails from the journalist’s time at the News of the World which were “of interest to the police in their investigations”. However, Mr Nixson was never told what was in those emails. Mr Nixson also said that a full disciplinary hearing would have exonerated him of any allegations of wrongdoing. However no disciplinary hearing ever took place.
News Group confirmed in writing that Mr Nixson had been dismissed for gross misconduct over the discovery of “evidence of criminal conduct”.
If you have a legal issue that is related to a breach of contract then please get in touch with Stephen Attree or Awena Parry, our Commercial Law Solicitors, at Myers Lister Price Solicitors on 0845 0738 445 or email@example.com.
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
- March 11th, 2013TUPE, or not TUPE? That is the question…
- March 11th, 2013Commercial law advice from MLP Solicitors.
- March 8th, 2013Use a commercial agreements solicitor to protect your business.
- March 6th, 2013Business sale solicitors help GN Gaunt become part of a national group.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence