business law changes will affect unfair dismissal
Vince Cable has unveiled plans for changes in business law making it easier for bosses to sack staff. The Business Secretary is backing proposals which will allow employers to sack groups of workers with 30 days’ notice.
Sacked staff will be unable to claim unfair dismissal until they have been in a job for two years. He is proposing that businesses planning collective redundancies need only give staff 45 or 30 days notice, rather than the current 90 days. He claims that the reforms will make the British labour market “fit for the 21st century”.
Unions have accused the Government of an assault on workers’ rights. The new business law proposed will force individuals seeking unfair dismissal to go to conciliation service Acas before taking the case to an employment tribunal. Cable is also considering a ban on workers using private conversations with bosses about their performance in tribunal cases.
A Department for Business spokesman said: “This is the most radical shake-up of the employment law system in decades. This package will make it easier for businesses when taking on, managing and letting go of staff, while also being fair to workers.”
GMB general secretary Paul Kenny said “These changes will make it harder for hundreds of thousands of workers to bring cases of victimisation, unfairness and bullying at work. This will just sweep abuse under the carpet”.
Cable’s announcement of changes in business law has come as David Cameron boasted he was leading a “Dyno-Rod” government, which unblocked obstacles to growth. In a private meeting with ministers, the Prime Minister said the economy was in a “very difficult situation” and hinted that growth and jobless figures are likely to make grim reading for the Government.
For more information on how we can help you with all aspects of business law please contact our Commercial Solicitors, at Myers Lister Price Solicitors on 0845 0738 445 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 21st, 2013Intellectual Property Bill published
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
- March 11th, 2013TUPE, or not TUPE? That is the question…
- March 11th, 2013Commercial law advice from MLP Solicitors.
- March 8th, 2013Use a commercial agreements solicitor to protect your business.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence