business purchase law – alleged misuse of confidential information
Barclays are fighting a business purchase law case in the London High Court for the alleged misuse of confidential information in 2010 to takeover Tricorona, a Swedish carbon trading company.
CF Partners, who are a UK advisory and trading firm claim to have gone to Barclays in September 2008 to discuss whether the British bank could provide financing for a deal with Tricorona, a Stockholm company with a portfolio of carbon credits in the area of hydro power projects.
In their business purchase law case which was filed in the High Court October 2011, CF Partners allege that when their deal with Tricorona stalled, Barclays used CF’s work to pursue its own deal with the Swedish company. In July 2010, Barclays paid £98 million for a 85 per cent stake in Tricorona.
Discussions with Tricorona and Barclays, as a potential lender and adviser, collapsed in November 2008, according to the claim. CF claim they remained committed to pursuing a transaction but they did not signed a formal letter of engagement with the British bank. Their claims states “CF Partners provided Barclays with a single, composite piece of information, namely the fact that Tricorona was an attractive and available takeover/purchase prospect”.
CF issued a statement saying “We have never taken legal action before and have only commenced litigation after very serious consideration,” CF further added “We have instigated these proceedings only after attempts to directly resolve the matter and having taken detailed advice from external counsel.”
Barclays said CF’s business purchase law case was “without merit” and is to be contested “vigorously” by the bank. “Barclays had no contractual relationship with CF Partners and did not enter into any advisory mandate,” the bank said.
For more information on how we can help you with all aspects of business law please contact our commercial Solicitors, at Myers Lister Price Solicitors on 0845 0738 445 or email@example.com
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 21st, 2013Intellectual Property Bill published
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
- March 11th, 2013TUPE, or not TUPE? That is the question…
- March 11th, 2013Commercial law advice from MLP Solicitors.
- March 8th, 2013Use a commercial agreements solicitor to protect your business.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence