Company Restructure Solicitors – Thomas Cook poised for restructure
Company restructuring can often be an essential part of a business’s survival or future growth and change of this nature needs to be managed confidently and often requires legal assistance from a specialist company restructure solicitor.
Thomas Cook is heading for a restructure of this nature and whilst it sorts out the financial and legal issues of the restructure they have delayed publication of full-year results until all restructure talks are concluded.
One of the banks which was engaged in talks with the cash-strapped tour operator, has indicated it is keen for a swift resolution of the company’s debt crisis.
It appears likely that company restructuring plans will involve shop closures. Thomas Cook merged its retail division with The Co-operative Travel and Midlands Co-operative in October. Media reports now suggest that the company could now close around 200 outlets in the UK.
Thomas Cook UK and Ireland mainstream chief executive Ian Ailles said the company will “focus on what we are good at. The name Thomas Cook is synonymous with being a leisure retailer. We know we are a great retailer.” He said “It’s normal for high street retailers to move or shut shops every year. We are pragmatic about it. Some shops will come up for a break in the lease and that will create a decision point. He added “We are looking at it and we’ll take a decision. Two hundred is not the number in my head, but it might be a number we reach over a couple of years. We will talk about shop plans in the announcement to the City.”
Myers Lister Price company restructuring solicitors will steer you through all areas of the restructure. For example it may be necessary to reduce the number of management positions to increase the number of staff on the front line, or reduce headcount to enable the business to get through tough economic times. Our specialist team will guide you through the challenges you will face and will ensure that your legal obligations are met at every stage of the process.
If you require legal advice or assistance from our company restructure solicitors please contact our Commercial team, at Myers Lister Price Solicitors on 0845 0738 445 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest MLP Solicitors News
- September 30th, 2014Opticians Focus: Top 5 things to consider when buying a business
1. Structuring of the Deal Is it to be an Asset Purchase or Share Purchase? And what are the tax implications? How will the deal be financed?
If Asset Sale … Read more
- September 23rd, 2014Things to think about when making a Will: Executors
Who to appoint as your executor is arguably the most important decision to make when you are making a Will. Your executors are responsible for administering your estate correctly. They … Read more
- September 8th, 2014Employment Law Update for the week ending 5 September 2014
- September 3rd, 2014Data protection breaches can result in monetary penalty notices being issued –what are these and how can your business avoid them?
A Monetary Penalty Notice is a notice requiring a data controller to pay a fine set by the Commissioner. The amount of the MPN determined by the Commissioner must not … Read more
- September 2nd, 2014Family Business Succession and Planning.
I’ve recently finished an E-book soon to be published on Family Business succession and planning. One of the key elements of the book is the importance of planning. Planning succession … Read more
- September 1st, 2014Employment Law Update for the week ending 29 August 2014
It’s time for MLP’s quick round up of the key talking points in employment law for the week ending 29 August 2014. News Consultation on closing potential loopholes in the … Read more
- August 29th, 2014The Current State of the Property Market
Where are the regional property hotspots?We’ve witnessed the ongoing growth of the UK housing market in recent months but is it beginning to lose momentum? June saw a rise … Read more
- August 27th, 2014Pre-nuptial agreements are not binding
Although the government is yet to legislate to give pre-nuptial agreements automatic legal recognition in England and Wales, the courts have for several years adopted the position that those who … Read more
- August 21st, 2014Considering selling or merging your PR or Digital Agency?
We act for a significant number of PR and Digital Agencies and from our experience of mergers and acquisitions over the years, I set out the top 6 questions you … Read more
- August 20th, 2014Financial claims are extinguished by decree absolute – Common Misconception
Here is the third in our series of common misconceptions around family law. This week we are tackling the issue of financial claims being extinguished by decree absolute. In a … Read more
- August 20th, 2014Dealing with grief when a loved one dies
“I’ve nothing against death, I just don’t want to be there when it happens….” Woody Allen. Grief is the natural process of reaction and adjustment to loss and change. … Read more
- August 19th, 2014Companies reveal gender pay gap
It’s time for MLP’s quick round up of the key talking points in employment law for the week ending 15 August 2014. Employment law news Just four companies reveal gender … Read more
- August 13th, 2014Steps to avoid bribery when client entertaining
6 Practical steps to help avoid liability under the Bribery Act 2010
1. Top level commitmentAll senior managers and directors must understand that they could be personally liable under … Read more
- August 12th, 2014Employment law update – TUPE and unfair dismissal
It’s time for MLP’s quick round up of the key talking points in employment law from last week and the hot topics included TUPE, unfair dismissal and harassment! Employment law … Read more
- August 12th, 20145 common misconceptions for not making a Will
When it comes to discussions around making a Will, there are many reasons that people give for not having done so already. Here, we correct some of the myths around … Read more
- August 11th, 2014Client entertaining or bribery?
The line between entertaining and bribery is not always obvious and can be very punitive. It is vital for businesses to understand the offences under the Bribery Act 2010 and … Read more
- August 11th, 20145 Common Misconceptions about family law – 2
Fathers have the same rights as mothers When a child is born, the mother automatically acquires “Parental Responsibility” for that child but the father may not. Parental responsibility covers all … Read more
- August 6th, 20145 Common Misconceptions about family law – 1
Over the next few weeks I’d like to share the five Common Misconceptions about family law. The first in our series is on the topic of… The Common Law Wife… Read more
- August 6th, 2014Dragon investment
I read in the paper that a couple of entrepreneurs have landed £50,000 in Dragon’s Den funding for their gourmet tea business. This funding from Kelly Hoppen was for a … Read more
- August 5th, 2014Employment law update – parental leave, tribunals and more
It’s time for MLP’s quick round up of the key talking points in employment law for the week ending 1 August 2014. Employment law news 70% of potentially successful Employment … Read more
- August 3rd, 2014UK estates will pay £530 million in ‘unnecessary’ Inheritance Tax in 2014