Coronation Street actress Betty Driver ‘leaves almost £1 million in will'
Betty Driver who played Betty Williams in Coronation Street died on 15th October 2011 and in the press this week it was announced that her net estate was worth £938,198.
What exactly is a net estate? A net estate is the money that is left in your estate after all of your debts, funeral expenses and taxes have been paid. Betty’s net estate is above the inheritance tax limit, currently £325,000 and so Betty’s executors will have paid inheritance tax at 40% on all of her assets above this limit.
There are a number of ways to reduce inheritance tax and this can be done through careful estate planning. If you have assets that you are confident you will no longer need then it is possible to give assets away during your lifetime so as to reduce your inheritance tax bill. There are consequences in doing this so please ensure that you speak to a member of our Wills, Trusts and Probate team before making any decisions.
Betty also left her estate to close friends. If Betty had not left a Will then the Intestacy Rules will have applied to her estate which means her chosen beneficiaries, her friends, would not have benefited. It is extremely important that you prepare a Will so that you decide what happens to your estate after you have died.
We are qualified specialists in estate planning and we are here to help you discuss your estate and help you plan for the future. Please feel free to contact a member of the Wills, Trusts and Probate team on 0845 0738 445 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 22nd, 2013The Patent Box – a gift for all innovative companies.
- May 21st, 2013Intellectual Property Bill published
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
- March 11th, 2013TUPE, or not TUPE? That is the question…
- March 11th, 2013Commercial law advice from MLP Solicitors.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence