Feed in Tariffs
Following the decision of the Court of Appeal that the government has no power to make retrospective changes to the Feed in Tariff (FiT) Scheme, the government has announced that it will continue to defend its proposed modifications.
Whilst the case impacts heavily on the solar power tariff industry, the decision centred on the key issue of whether the government has the power to make retrospective changes. The decision reminds all public bodies that when considering changes to schemes, the starting point has to be any enabling legislation.
In the Court of Appeal’s view, the government’s proposal was unlawful because the Energy Act 2008 and secondary legislation does not provide for a rate that might fluctuate according to the decisions of the secretary of state.
In contrast, it held, that owners of solar installations are entitled to subsidies at a rate set by reference to the year in which the installation becomes eligible. The overall thrust of government policy that tariffs should be cut from this April is unaffected by this decision. In practice, the decision only really affects installations that became eligible over a short period of time.
Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change v Friends of the Earth and Others (25 January 2012; (2012) EWCA Civ 28)
For advice on feed in tariffs, advice on energy supply agreements or the energy sector in general please contact Stephen Attree or Awena Parry in our commercial department on 0845 0738 445 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
- March 11th, 2013TUPE, or not TUPE? That is the question…
- March 11th, 2013Commercial law advice from MLP Solicitors.
- March 8th, 2013Use a commercial agreements solicitor to protect your business.
- March 6th, 2013Business sale solicitors help GN Gaunt become part of a national group.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence