Keeping up with copyright
A few weeks ago we blogged about the Digital Property Exchange which was proposed by the Hargreaves Review and is likely to be developed by the Government in the near future. On Wednesday the Government published a consultation document outlining its further proposals to develop the UK copyright system. The aim of the review and this following consultation paper is to try and update the copyright laws and drag them into the 21st century.
The proposals include:
- Making it legal to copy CDs to an MP3 player (which in theory is currently breach of copyright);
- Establishing licensing for material with unknown copyright owners (see blog on the Digital Copyright Exchange);
- Extended collective licensing that would allow “collecting societies” to licence on behalf of all rights holders;
- Copyright exceptions such as: private copying; research and private study; copyright works to be copied for the purpose of text and data mining for non-commercial research.
Without adversely affecting the creative industry, these proposed developments should provide new business opportunities for both companies that create intellectual property that they are do not use themselves and companies that do not have the research and development resources to create their own intellectual property.
The consultation will close on 21 March 2012. Please look out for our summary and advice in the days to following so that you and your business can be one of the first to take advantage of the new rules and regulations. For more information on copyright and intellectual property issues please contact our Corporate and Commercial Department who will be happy to help on 0845 0738 445 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 22nd, 2013The Patent Box – a gift for all innovative companies.
- May 21st, 2013Intellectual Property Bill published
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
- March 11th, 2013TUPE, or not TUPE? That is the question…
- March 11th, 2013Commercial law advice from MLP Solicitors.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence