Over the last few weeks Microsoft has granted a patent licence to LG Electronics covering the use of Android and Chrome OS tablets and mobile phones. This is a good example of the value of Intellectual Property rights and how they can be exploited in the Information Technology market.
How does it work?
A licence agreement is agreed between the parties which deals not only with the rights to be licensed but also with the exact nature of the licence, how royalties are payable and any other conditions.
In this case LG benefit by receiving coverage under Microsoft’s patent portfolio and Microsoft benefit by receiving an income from each and every sale of an LG mobile device that runs the Android or Chrome OS platform. Microsoft currently makes $3.5 million – $10.5 million every day from Android and Chrome operated phones.
So profitable is the licencing of its IP that Microsoft has now entered into more than 1,100 licencing agreements.
Although happy, under certain terms, to grant a licence over its patent portfolio, Microsoft has no problem litigating against manufactures who have not signed up on a licencing agreement and agreed to their terms. One such example of this is its on going lawsuits against Motorola who currently do not pay a royalty for the privilege of making smart phone devices using the Android or Chrome platform.
Myers Lister Price Intellectual Property Team specialise not only in protecting intellectual property but also maximising its value through the use of licences and agreements. If you would like to investigate the option of licencing you intellectual property then our Intellectual Property team would be happy to discuss this with you. Please contact Myers Lister Price on 0845 0738 445 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 24th, 2013Breach of Contract What’s it worth?
- May 24th, 2013Taking out a life insurance policy is a great way to protect your family’s future.
- May 22nd, 2013The Patent Box – a gift for all innovative companies.
- May 21st, 2013Intellectual Property Bill published
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence