Piracy on the high street
The big legal news last week was that Microsoft has issued proceedings against Comet for breach of intellectual property rights.
Microsoft alleges that Comet copied and sold 94,000 copies of Windows XP and Windows Vista recovery CDs. The CDs were sold to customers who were buying PCs and laptops with Windows already loaded on, for them to use if the software needed reinstalling.
Microsoft has alleged that the discs were reproduced without permission or a licence. Comet has taken legal advice however, and is confident that it has not breached any intellectual property rights. Both Microsoft and Comet have said that they were acting in the best interests of their customers.
Comet is due to be sold by Kesa Electricals PLC to OpCapita in February for a nominal sum of £1 for Comet itself and another £1 for Triptych Insurance, which provides warranties for Comet’s goods. What’s worse Kesa also had to invest £50m in Comet and retain liability for the pension scheme. The high street retailer has had a very hard year and these allegations may well turn out to be the final nail in the coffin.
If you are concerned about the use of your intellectual property then please get in touch with Stephen Attree or Awena Parry, our corporate and commercial solicitors at Myers Lister Price Solicitors on 0845 0738 445 or by e-mail at email@example.com
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- June 14th, 2013A Landmark and high profile family law and divorce case in the Supreme Court pits Family Law against Corporate and Commercial law.
- June 12th, 2013Interflora wins trade mark case against M & S.
- June 11th, 2013No duty of good faith in exercising the right to terminate a contract
- June 7th, 2013Whose email is it anyway?
- June 5th, 2013Myers Lister Price solicitor adds trademark string to bow.
- May 30th, 2013Cash Still Preferred by Retailers and Great for Cashflow
- May 24th, 2013Breach of Contract What’s it worth?
- May 24th, 2013Taking out a life insurance policy is a great way to protect your family’s future.
- May 22nd, 2013The Patent Box – a gift for all innovative companies.
- May 21st, 2013Intellectual Property Bill published
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
MLP Solicitors in the news
- June 17th, 2013Law Firm That’s Breath of Fresh Air
- June 14th, 2013Boon for Myers Lister Price..
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale