The Legal Landscapes of Cohabiting Couples
A recent Supreme Court decision has radically altered the legal landscape for cohabiting couples seeking to either claim an interest in a property owned by the other or alter the shares of ownership of jointly owned property.
The test now adopted is as follows:
- The starting point is the legal ownership of the property – for joint owners this will be that the property is held in equal shares, for sole owners that it is their sole property
- However, this can be overridden if there is evidence of a common intention of the parties either at the time of purchase or subsequently to change this
- That “common intention” will be inferred from the parties’ conduct and dealings
- Where it is found that there is clear evidence that there was a different intention as to ownership but no clear evidence as to what the shares of ownership should be, the court will decide what is fair given the whole course of dealing between the parties in relation to the property
Quite what the outcome will be in any case is therefore extremely difficult to predict. Cohabiting couples should consider entering into a cohabitation agreement to properly define the shares of ownership. Such agreements can deal with:
- Existing and future property
- Business interests
- Bank accounts
- And much more
For more information on the above contact our Family Law Solicitors Altrincham on 0845 0738 445 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
- March 11th, 2013TUPE, or not TUPE? That is the question…
- March 11th, 2013Commercial law advice from MLP Solicitors.
- March 8th, 2013Use a commercial agreements solicitor to protect your business.
- March 6th, 2013Business sale solicitors help GN Gaunt become part of a national group.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence