What are your options?
What do a graffiti artist, the Winklevoss twins and about 3000 employees have in common? The answer…They are all set to become multi multimillionaires in May.
Why? Because they own share options in the internet phenomenon that is Facebook, who plans to raise $5billion by launching an initial public offering of stock in the Spring. In the early days the Company issued options to employees in an effort to create incentives but also simply because cashflow was low. For many this will bear a strong similarity to 2004 when Google went to market with its $1.67 billion IPO. This saw secretaries, a company masseuse and a company chef all become millionaires.
Share options give the holder the right to buy or sell shares in a given company at a previously set price regardless of the current market rate. As soon as Facebook is listed those holding stock options will be able to buy stock at the previously agreed price and then sell them immediately at the market rate. (Then buy a yacht and spend the rest of their days floating around the Caribbean!).
It is clear why employees benefit from stock options but what are the advantages for employers? By issuing stock options a company is able to: make their employees feel like part of the business and therefore more involved with the growth and performance; employ individuals who may be financially out of their reach but who will help the company improve; (and for start up companies specifically) preserve cashflow when money is tight.
If you would like some advice on stock options and other ways of helping your company’s money stretch further then please contact the Corporate and Commercial Department at Myer Lister Price on 0845 0738 445 or email@example.com
Latest Myers Lister Price Solicitors News
- May 22nd, 2013The Patent Box – a gift for all innovative companies.
- May 21st, 2013Intellectual Property Bill published
- May 16th, 2013Crowdsourcing – beware of the pitfalls.
- May 16th, 2013Did you know that you do not have to use your insurance company’s choice of solicitor to pursue a personal injury claim?
- May 13th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered over £30,000 in injury compensation.
- May 10th, 2013MLP Injury Lawyers has successfully recovered £21,000 in injury compensation…
- May 8th, 2013Great news for Cheshire!
- May 7th, 2013Great result for SEONext
- May 3rd, 2013Employee Shareholders will now become law – Royal Assent is expected today and BIS intends to implement this new, third, type of employment status in autumn 2013.
- May 3rd, 2013Employment Tribunal fees to be introduces later this year…
- May 2nd, 2013Developments on Employee-Owned Companies
- April 29th, 2013Could a franchise be your ideal fresh start?
- April 29th, 2013Are you being treated fairly?
- April 29th, 2013The latest on Employee Shareholder Status
- April 17th, 2013Will a new “employee shareholder” status be introduced?
- April 12th, 2013The Courts Arrive on YouTube
- April 9th, 2013The death of legal aid – there are alternatives.
- April 9th, 2013Not so happy bunny now…
- April 2nd, 2013April fool?
- March 25th, 2013But it’s my name too!
- March 21st, 20132,150 AstraZeneca Job Losses reported at Alderley Park, Cheshire
- March 20th, 2013Pension Pitfalls
- March 20th, 2013Have you been TUPE’d???
- March 15th, 2013Contact a dispute resolution solicitor before agreeing any settlement.
- March 13th, 2013Intellectual property solicitors settle legal dispute for the Fred Perry fashion label.
- March 13th, 2013Council Tax Rise To Hit Beneficiaries Of Estates
- March 12th, 2013Use a commercial solicitor to keep your business compliant.
- March 12th, 2013Cash is King and Europe agrees. The new law comes into effect on 16th March.
- March 11th, 2013TUPE, or not TUPE? That is the question…
- March 11th, 2013Commercial law advice from MLP Solicitors.
MLP Solicitors in the news
- November 1st, 2012MLP Rebrand in Manchester Law Society Messenger
- October 23rd, 2012MLP Solicitors launches MediaCity office
- October 22nd, 2012Digital brand blunders
- October 17th, 2012Legal firm launches North West Air Ambulance support fund
- October 16th, 2012How SMEs can Prepare for Pension Reform
- October 15th, 2012A Beginners Guide to Commercial Property Investment
- September 14th, 2012MLP Solicitors Bag New Salford Office at MediaCityUK
- July 6th, 2012Gatekeep: How to pitch to Rachel Chenery at Myers Lister Price (Wealth Manager online)
- July 5th, 2012MLP Solicitors advises on business sale
- June 21st, 2010Personal Injury - Negligence